Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Top 10 Books to Get in the Halloween Spirit

Top Ten Tuesday - October 23rd: hosted by the girls at The Broke and the Bookish. We make lists each week on various categories. This week's topic is:
TOP 10 Books to Get in the Halloween Spirit

This is late, but for my sanity and to appease my OCD about things, I'm posting it anyways. :P


1. Either of Gretchen McNeil's books, Ten and Possess: Teens stranded on an island getting killed off in Ten. And a really freaky doll scene in Possess, plus possession (obvs).

2. The Legend of Sleepy Hollow by Washington Irving: This is one of my favorite books. It's one of the few that I love to reread every now and again. It doesn't creep me out, but it puts me in the Halloween mood.

3. The Morganville Vampires Series by Rachel Caine: Asides from the fact that this series is about my favorite bad guys - vampires - they just feel like Fall.

4. The Name of the Star by Maureen Johnson: A ghost story about Jack the Ripper in present-day London? Yes please.


5. Anything by Edgar Allen Poe: His writing is lyrical and terrifying. His stories might not always be pull the covers over your head scary, but they're dark and Gothic and a Halloween must for me.

6. Anything by Stephen King, especially The Colorado KidMysteries always get me in the Halloween spirit, and The Colorado Kid mixes freaky paranormal stuff in with the mystery.

7. Dracula by Bram Stoker: Classic vampires = best vampires. Most of the time.

8. The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson: Another one that makes me think of Fall.

9. The Turn of the Screw by Thomas James: It's a short ghost story but definitely freaky.

10. The First Days by Rhiannon Frater: Two pages. It only took reading the first two freaking pages for me to get scared. Zombies scare the shit out of me but I can't get enough of them... and Rhiannon Frater's writing is so addictive and honest making it hard to stop reading. First Days will make you want to lock yourself in a closet while reading so the light won't attract any unwanted visitors. Seriously.

No comments:

Post a Comment